Thursday, July 28, 2011

Amtrak Commuting

Several times each month I'm able to ride to the train station, ride Amtrak, then ride to the office in Exton, PA or downtown Philadelphia.


Amtrak requires that bicycles taken aboard the keystone trains be of the folding types with wheels 20" or less (Apparently SEPTA has the same rules).

So for father's Day this year my present was a 2011 Downtube FS9 folding bicycle:


I added a frame pump, a small Louis Garneau saddle bag for a spare tube and tools, and a Blackburn flashing tail light.

So far the bike has been solid. While the riding position places lots of weight high up on tiny wheels, with a little practice you learn to work with the twitcy-ness.

Some of the components will need upgrade by the end of the season (the crankset and BB, most likely -- I've been hearing some creaks and rubbing sounds).

The tires are solid, the rims fairly true, and the frame bulletproof.

Folding is easy and takes about 30 seconds. The carry onto the train is a bit challenging as the folded condition still leaves handlebars and such hanging out to catch stuff on the way up or down.

I usually leave it in the open area reserved for baggage and/or wheel chairs. Only once did a conductor insist that I place the bike up on a luggage rack. It fit, but took some wrangling. It was pointless and arbitrary as there was luggage lying about loose in the car and my bike presented no more hazard and took up no more space than a suitcase.

I've ridden the bike 15 miles (from Mount Joy to the Lancaster train station). This is not a racing bike -- rolling resistance is high, inertia is low, and the suspension means the bike flexes and bounces on a hard climb uphill. I don't have a speedometer on it but from expereince know that we're maxed out at 30 -- faster than that and the bike is simply too unstable.

But this bike was built for urban commuting. I sometimes ride from 30th Street Station to 1234 Market Street (about 1.4 miles) in heavy morning traffic.


I'm able to quickly get up to speed, stop when needed, and dodge buses, taxis, and lost tourists from jersey...


I don't have much expereince with folding bikes, but have several hundred thousand miles on road, mountain, and tandem bikes and I can heartily recommend this bike to fellow commuters.

2 comments: