Friday, August 12, 2011

Nice day

It is absolutely stunning out today -- warm, dry, clear, light breeze. It feels like August!

I rode a long, hilly ride yesterday on the Mountain bike (Road bike is still in the shop). It was easy enough until I got to Sun Hill Road southwest of Manheim. Then a steady grade. A quick drop back into town, some extra blocks pedaled as I maneuvered my way around town, then a climb back out of town.

The first test was Orchard road which rose 150' in less than 1/2 mile. From then on it was up and down along Hossler Road which strings along the top of a ridge -- the flatter parts of Lancaster County to the south, the hilly terrain of Lancaster and Lebanon Counties to the north.

The scenery is spectacular -- rolling farmland with corn, soybeans, and hay interspersed with dairy cows, goats, and horses. The houses and farms are neat and well kept and the roads smooth and clear.

But the hills are relentless. My legs just aren't conditioned yet, and the last ones were the hardest - a 10% slope up Strickler road.

I was craving ice cream and watermelon when I rolled up Elmcrest road hill. I was glad to be home and my legs felt wobbly. In a week or so I'll try it again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment